Saturday, 29 September 2012

Newmarket

 

Location:  Region of York   N 44° 03.059 W 079° 27.501
Located at the corner of D’arcy Street and Church Street.

This small Veteran's Memorial Park, contains a cenotaph, a dedication plaque, an Honour Roll of those who gave thier lives, a commemorative walkway, a Peacekeepers Memorial, and a monument to Pte. W. Haines, who died fighting in the Boer War(see my April 26, 2012 entry).
Well kept garden with benches allow the visitor time to ponder the past and appreciate the present.
Sponsored by local Royal Canadian Branch branch 426, and the Newmarket Veterans Association.

Marker text:
Cenotaph:
IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF NEWMARKET
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918

LORD GIVE US FAITH AND STRENGTH,
THE ROAD TO BUILD.
TO SEE THE PROMISE OF THE DAY
FULFILLED.
WHEN WAR SHALL BE NO MORE
AND STRIFE SHALL CEASE.
UPON THE HIGHWAY OF THE PRINCE OF
PEACE.

Honour Roll:
(Crests of Legion,  Town of Newmarket, Newmarket Veterans Association)
Honour Roll
In memory of Newmarket WW1 Veterans
"Lest We Forget"

G. Archibald, E. Barber, S. Black, H.G. Blackhall, S. Brock, A.E. Brodie, C. Brown, R.R. Brunton, R. Chapman, A.S. Collingwood, E. Cousins, A. Denne, H.G. Douse, W.M. Dunn, A.F. Elvidge, W.G. Elvidge, S. Evans, W.W. Gardner, M. Goring, G. Grainger, R. Harden, R.S. Hillary, F. Laker

E.J. Laker, J. McDonald, W. McTavish, N.C. Mee, W.E. Moffat, J.H. Morgan, C.O. Morrison, H. Penrose, J.A. Proctor, S. Quick, J.A. Ralston, W.E. Riordan, J. Robertson, I.D. Ross, J.E. Rowland, E. Smith, H. Steckley, W.C. Stone, H. Stone, S. Stuffles, A. Trent, E.F. Watson, T. Wood

Peacekeeping Stone:
(Crests of United Nations, Coat of Arms of Canada, NATO)
CANADA
Dedicated to all members of
the Canadian Forces, who
continue to answer Duty's Call
placing them in harm's way
in defence of Canada, Freedom,
Peace and Democracy.  Many have
paid the supreme sacrifice so that
others around the world may
experience the freedoms
we enjoy in Canada without
fear of tyranny or oppression.

Dedicated Newmarket, Ontario. 11 November 2006

Dedication Plaque:
VETERANS
MEMORIAL PARK

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO FOUGHT AND DIED
FOR OUR FREEDOM

WORLD WAR 1   1914-1918
WORLD WAR 2   1939-1945
KOREAN ACTION













Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Kendal

 

Location:  Municipality of Clarington  N 44 01.542  W 078 31.795 
On the west side of Newtonville Road, south of Ganaraska Road.  Entrance gate to the town park.

A wonderful tribute to a war hero, from this small village.  The village has named their town park and sports fields after Corporal Harvey Jackson, killed only three weeks before the end of World War I.  Jackson was a Bombardier with the Canadian Field Artillery.  A stone and metal gateway with a plaque marks the park entrance. He is buried in France, at the Naves Communal Cemetery Extn. along with 28 other Canadians.

Marker text:
TO
THE MEMORY
CORPORAL
JAMES HARVEY
JACKSON
B.A. (Toronto)
C.E.F.
C.F.A 18TH BATTERY
SERVED FOR
NEARLY THREE YEARS
IN FRANCE.
KILLED IN ACTION
AT IWUY
OCT, 16th 1918   AGED 24
"FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH
CROWNED WITH LIFE ETERNAL"

ERECTED JUNE 9, 1926





Sunday, 23 September 2012

Barry's Bay RCL #406



Location:  Renfrew County, Madawaska Valley  N 45 29.062  W 077 40.672
In front of the Royal Canadian Legion, 250 John Street (Highway 62).

This memorial is dedicated to those who paid the supreme sacrifice. It was erected by the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 406 - Barry's Bay.  A stone memorial sits in front of the Legion. A sign featuring the names of those who gave their lives, is mounted on the wall, along with a smaller plaque dedicated to the Korean War.

Marker text:
Stone memorial:
TO KEEP FOREVER
LIVING THE FREEDOM
FOR WHICH THEY DIED
WE DEDICATE THIS
SYMBOL TO THOSE
WHO PAID THE
SUPREME SACRIFICE
FOR THE CAUSE
OF FREEDOM

LEST WE FORGET

Sign on wall:
LEST WE FORGET

 1914-1945
BIERNACKI F.J.
BIERNACKI P.P.
CHIPPIOR F.F.
CYBULSKI-ALBERT
CYBULSKI-ADOLPH
SKUCE R.F.

HEADS WM.
LUCASAVITCH F.
MAIKA P.J.
SKEBO B.A.
SKEBO P.S.
SKUCE R.
POPKEY H.

IN LOVING MEMORY

Korean plaque:
 KOREAN WAR
1950-1953
THIS MEMORIAL PRESENTED
BY UNIT 38
KOREA VETERANS ASSOCIATION
OF CANADA
1993




Saturday, 22 September 2012

Exeter

 

Location: Huron County  N 43 20.857  W 081 28.843 
Located on the east side of Main Street, in front of the Town Hall and Library.

This memorial was unveiled on January 9th, 1920 during stormy weather.  Despite the inclement weather, the entire town showed up for the unveiling, as stores, businesses and schools were asked to close during the time of the ceremony.  Originally constructed with a dove of peace on top of the monument, this was later removed by the memorial's sculptor, as some questioned whether or not it truly resembled a dove of peace.
The memorial bears the names of men from the Village of Exeter, and the townships of Usborne and Stephen.  The two bronze lion faces at the sides form a fountain of water out from the memorial.

Marker text:
Front:
TO OUR FALLEN
HEROES
 1914-1918

THEIR NAMES
ENDURETH FOREVER

FROM THE VILLAGE
OF EXETER

THOMAS HAROLD BISSETT
THOMAS BRIMMICOMBE
JAMES O. BROWN
JOHN D. LAING
CLINTON STEPHEN HOGARTH
JOHN GORDON HOGARTH
JAMES MARSHALL
THOMAS W. PENHALE
CECIL PICKARD
WILBUR J. ROWE
VICTOR G. SANDERS
SIDNEY SMITH
SIDNEY WEST
ELMER THOMAS WILLIS
HARRY ERNEST WINDSOR
WILL J. KNIGHT
WILSON CULBERT
FRED TUCKER

Metal Plaque:
FROM THE VILLAGE OF EXETER

C. STEWART CANN
RALPH DELBRIDGE
HAROLD A. ELLIOT
ELMER L. HUNKIN
I. LAVERNE HARNESS
ORVILLE P. LAWSON

ALVIN E. LINDENFIELD
R. BARTLE MOTZ
N. HILTON SANDERS
JOHN A. SWEET
WILLIAM H. WILSON
FRANKLIN C. ZURBRIGG

FROM THE TOWNSHIP OF USBORNE

HENRY C. ANDERSON
WILLIAM E. KESTLE
A. SIDNEY KING

A. JORDAN LAING
ALEX D. STRANG
DONALD S. WHITING

 THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY WELL
 1939-1945

Left:
FROM THE TOWNSHIP OF USBORNE

EDWARD LINCOLN GARDENER
LOFTUS HERN
ERNEST PENRICE
JOSEPH LEIGH
GEORGE H. STURLEY
GLENN EDEN FLINTOFF

ROBERT PASSMORE
WM. ERNEST NEIL
REGINALD D. TURNBULL
BRUCE M. MATTHEWS
JAMES E. ROADHOUSE
EARL ALBERT GARDINER

Rear:
KOREAN WAR
1950 - 1953
EVERETT F POLLEN

Brass Plaque:
FROM THE TOWNSHIP OF STEPHEN
DONALD G. HICKS
CLIFFORD W. HICKS
HAROLD L. BROWN
EDWARD C. TRIEBNER
ALLEN F. PENHALE
RAYMOND WEIBERG
KEN J. WHITE

W. GERALD SCHROEDER
DENNIS COLLINS
HAROLD L. MAIER
WARD PFAFF
ADDISON POLLOCK
THOMAS RYAN

THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY WELL
1939-1945

Right:
FROM THE TOWNSHIP
OF USBORNE

ALFRED COATES
ARTHUR HART
EDWARD G. KELLETT
EARL L. JOHNS
EDWARD WYGOLD
JOHN W. BEERE

THOMAS H. WILKINSON
JOHN C. STRANG
REGINALD JOHNSON
WILLIAM G. WALKER
ELMER MCFALLS
NORMAN W. JOHNS












Thursday, 20 September 2012

Exeter Cemetery

 

Location:  Huron County  N 43 21.630  W 081 30.366                                                                            The cemetery is located on County Road 83 (Dashwood Rd.), west of Exeter.  This memorial is located generally in the centre of this very large cemetery.

A simple yet important memorial sign found in the Exeter Cemetery.  In the middle of a garden setting along with other signs dedicated to the Oddfellows and the Masonic Lodge.

Marker text:
(Legion crest)
This memorial has been
placed here in memory of
the men and women who
served their country and
monarch during the first
and second world wars, the
Korean war and other
conflicts, and are now laid
to rest in this place of
burial At the going down of
the sun and in the morning
We will remember them





Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Mactier

 

Location:  District of Muskoka, Georgian Bay Township  N 45 07.912  W 079 46.238           Located beside the Legion on Elizabeth Street, just west of High Street.

This memorial features a wall made of large red bricks, curved to form an alter, with a simple engraved stone in the centre, and a white cross on top.  The memorial sits beside the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #507, Lest We Forget.

Marker text:
IN
MEMORY
OF THOSE
WHO SERVED
THEIR COUNTRY







Saturday, 15 September 2012

Battle of Chippawa

 

Location:  City of Niagara Falls  N 43° 03.125 W 079° 01.490                                                             Found on the Niagara Parkway, two kilometres east of the village of Chippawa.

Here, on 5 July 1814, an American army under Major-General Jacob Brown launched the last major invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. The Americans defeated a British and Canadian force commanded by Major-General Phineas Riall consisting of regulars, militia and Aboriginal warriors. During the engagement, about 200 men were killed and over 500 wounded. After four months of heavy fighting, with major action at Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie and Cooks Mills, the invaders were forced back to the United States.  *taken from National Historic Site plaque at the site.

The Memorial consists of a tall stone marker, with plaques dedicated to the British, American and Natives who fought on this battlefield.  Nearby is also a Historical Plaque noting this spot as a National Historic Site.

Marker text:
Front:
(Province of Ontario Coats of Arms)
Battle of Chippawa
5 July 1814

In memory of all those who fought on this ground,
many of whom are buried nearby,
and to commemorate the peace that has prevailed
between Canada and the United States
since that time.

This monument was erected and dedicated by
The Niagara Parks Commission
October 2001

Brian E. Merrett, Chairman
Niagara Parks Commission
 


Left:
(American Flag)
Dedicated to the soldiers of the
Left Division, United States Army
who fought here on
5 July 1814

Regiment of United States Light Dragoons
Major Jacob Hindman's Battalion, United States Corp of Artillery
9th United States Infantry Regiment
11th United States Infantry Regiment
17th United States Infantry Regiment
19th United States Infantry Regiment
21st United States Infantry Regiment
22nd United States Infantry Regiment
23rd United States Infantry Regiment
25th United States Infantry Regiment
5th Pennsylvania Volunteer Regiment
 

Rear:
(Eagle feather)
Dedicated to
the memory of the warriors of the
First Nations allied with Britain
and of the
First Nations allied with the United States
who fought here on
5 July 1814
 

Right:
(Union Jack flag)
Dedicated to the memory of the soldiers of the
Right Division, British Army in North America
who fought here on
5 July 1814

19th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons
Captain James Maclachlan's Company, Royal Regiment of Artillery
1st Battalion, 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment of Foot
1st Battalion, 8th (King's) Regiment of Foot
100th (Prince Regent's County of Dublin) Regiment of Foot
 Troop of Provincial Royal Artillery Drivers
and the
2nd Lincoln Regiment, Militia of Upper Canada
from the Niagara Peninsula
which, at the Battle of Chippawa, suffered the highest casualties
lost by a Canadian militia unit in a single engagement
during the War of 1812
 








Friday, 14 September 2012

Ailsa Craig

 

Location:  North Middlesex   N 43 08.635  W 081 32.087                                                                Beside the Legion, at 155 Queen Street.

This memorial was erected in 1981 as a result of a community effort, by several local service groups in the Ailsa Craig area.  Located beside the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #422.

Marker text:
LEST WE FORGET

IN MEMORY OF THOSE
FROM THIS COMMUNITY
WHO SERVED THEIR
COUNTRY AND THOSE
WHO MADE THE
SUPREME SACRIFICE
WORLD WAR I
1914 - 1918
WORLD WAR II
1939 - 1945
KOREAN WAR
1950 - 1953

ERECTED 1981 BY BRANCH 422 ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION
ASSISTED BY AILSA CRAIG VILLAGE FIREMEN,
LEGION LADIES AUXILIARY, LIONS CLUB,
AND BUSINESSMENS ASSOCITAION,
OPTIMIST CLUB