Location: N 44° 23.321 W 079° 41.816 Located on the northeast corner of Parkside Drive and Park Street, beside the Barrie Armoury.
A Sherman Tank and a memorial sign honour the Grey and Simcoe Foresters. The memorial rests beside the Barrie Armoury, and as such is fenced off from the public, although it is clearly visible through the surrounding fence.
The Foresters are the only remaining unit in the Commonwealth of Nations, to retain the "Foresters" name, which stems from early infantry units. The Foresters have changed dramatically over their history, having originally been formed as an infantry unit, serving in the NorthWest Rebellion and World War 1. During the Second World War, they became an armoured unit in Europe, while those remaining in Canada also remained infantry. Following the Second World War, they became an artillery regiment, specializing in self-propelled anti-tank. In 1958, the Foresters returned to the Armour Corps, until 1970, when they once again returned to their original infantry role. The Grey & Simcoe Foresters have a proud and storied history, which can be further followed by visiting their museum at 36 Mulcaster Street in Barrie.
Battle honoursNorth West Canada 1885,
Pursuit To Mons
A MEMORIAL TO
THE GREY AND SIMCOE FORESTERS
(Royal Canadian Armoured Corps)
WHO SERVED...FOUGHT...AND DIED.
Dedicated... June 1974