Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Mactier - Union Cemetery

Location:  N 45° 07.076 W 079° 45.451  The memorial is found near the centre of Mactier Union Cemetery, at the corner of Highway 69 and County Road 11.

This memorial was dedicated in 1947. It features one main stone memorial with the words of dedication, and a separate stone atop this with the name of the cemetery and the dedication date. The memorial is flanked by two flagpoles, a Canadian and an Ontario flag adorn these. In front of the memorial is a stone walkway, used during Remembrance Day ceremonies.

The Memorial can be found in the middle of Mactier Union Cemetery, the first cemetery in the area, which hosts the graves of those who served in the war as well as many of the early pioneers. The cemetery can be found along Old Highway 69, at the cut-off to go into town. This was once the main road through the area until the recent expansion of Highway 400, and now the town of Mactier is well off the beaten path. The cemetery however is still very well kept and still in use

The following words are inscribed in the memorial:

July 1947

In memory of the men of Freeman Township
who gave their lives in the Second World War
1939 - 1945
Greater love hath no man than this,
That a man lay down his life
for his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.