Saturday, 28 January 2012
Location: N 44° 59.230 W 079° 03.431 Found in Village Park, a small community park dedicated to those who served in the Second World War, and to the early pioneers.
Stone slab with a bronze plaque, dedicated in August 1945, reads as follows:
WILLIAM NELSON BOYES
TO THE TOWNSHIP OF OAKLEY
AUG. 28TH, 1945
DEDICATED TO THOSE FROM
THIS COMMUNITY WHO
SERVED IN THE WAR OF
TOWN OF BRACEBRIDGE
The park also features an Ontario Historical Plaque, dedicated to Victoria Cross winner George Richardson.
Text on this plaque reads:
GEORGE RICHARDSON, V.C. 1831 - 1923
Private Richardson won the Victoria Cross while fighting with the Border Regiment of the British Army in northern India during the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59. As part of an attachment sent to dislodge rebels in the hills of the Kewarie Trans-Gogra district on April 27, 1859, he displayed "determined courage in having, though severely wounded... closed with and secured a rebel Sepoy (Indian soldier) armed with a broad revolver". An Irishman by birth, Richardson came to Canada in the early 1860s. During the 1880s and 1890s he lived on a farm one kilometre southwest of here. He held numerous township offices, including Reeve of Oakley Township (1895-96).