Monday, 30 January 2012

Stoney Creek - Battlefield Park

Location:  N 43° 13.009 W 079° 45.986  Found in Battlefield Park, on the southeast corner of King Street and Centennial Parkway.


Large monument, unveiled in 1913, on the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Stoney Creek, by Her Majesty Queen Mary.
On June 5, 1813, an invading United States army of about 3,000 men, commanded by Brigadier-General John Chandler, camped in this vicinity. That evening some 700 British regulars of the 8th and 49th Regiments, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel John Harvey, left their encampment on Burlington Heights to attack the enemy. The assault was launched early the following morning under cover of darkness. In the fierce fighting which followed, heavy losses were suffered on both sides, but the Americans were defeated and withdrew after their senior officers, Brigadier-Generals Chandler and Winder, were captured. This victory is credited with preventing Upper Canada from being overrun in 1813.









Sunday, 29 January 2012

Borden - Waggoner's Park

 
Location:  N44 16.147  W079 53.812   One of many memorials found in CFB Borden.  On the northwest corner of Ortona Road and Lundy Lane.

Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC)
Formed on November 1st, 1901, the RCASC was the combatant corps of the Canadian Army that provided combat supplies, transportation, food service and clerical support in peace, during the First World War, the Second World War, the Korean War and United Nations Operations.  Throughout its history, members of the RCASC performed with dedication, distinction, devotion and personal pride.  They were a vital part of every army operation.  Succeeding generations salute them.   The RCASC is a proud predecessor of the Canadian Forces Logistics Branch.
"Victory is the beautiful bright coloured flower.  Transport is the stem without which it would never have blossomed"  Winston Churchill
*taken from a plaque in Waggoner's Park

Three white stones mark the main memorial.  This memorial park is considered consecrated ground, as the ashes of fallen soldiers are buried here.
Text as follows:

Centre:
1914 - 1918
SACRED TO THE MEMORY
OF THOSE MEN OF THE
CORPS WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES IN THE CAUSE OF
FREEDOM
1939 - 1945
1950 - 1952
UNITED NATIONS

Left:
WE SHALL REMEMBER THOSE WHOSE ASHES ARE BURIED HERE
NOUS NOUS SOUVIENDRONS DE CEUX DONT LES CENDRES GISENT ICI
BRIGADIER G.E.R. SMITH  CBE CD
CAPTAIN A.D. THOMSON CD
CWO G.J. RANDALL CD
CAPTAIN R. A. EMBERLY CD
SGT. V.J. LAPIERRE CD
CWO W.L. COURTICE MMM CD
CWO R.A.J. BOLDUC CD
SGT. K.P. LAWSON CD

Right:
WE SHALL REMEMBER THOSE WHOSE ASHES ARE BURIED HERE
NOUS NOUS SOUVIENDRONS DE CEUX DONT LES CENDRES GISENT ICI
S/SGT. R.W. CAMERON CD
CPL G. BAZINET CD











Saturday, 28 January 2012

Vankoughnet





Location:  N 44° 59.230 W 079° 03.431  Found in Village Park, a small community park dedicated to those who served in the Second World War, and to the early pioneers.

Stone slab with a bronze plaque, dedicated in August 1945, reads as follows:

VILLAGE PARK

DONATED BY
WILLIAM NELSON BOYES
TO THE TOWNSHIP OF OAKLEY
AUG. 28TH, 1945

DEDICATED TO THOSE FROM
THIS COMMUNITY WHO
SERVED IN THE WAR OF
1939-1945

TOWN OF BRACEBRIDGE



The park also features an Ontario Historical Plaque, dedicated to Victoria Cross winner George Richardson.
Text on this plaque reads:
GEORGE RICHARDSON, V.C. 1831 - 1923

Private Richardson won the Victoria Cross while fighting with the Border Regiment of the British Army in northern India during the Indian Mutiny of 1857-59. As part of an attachment sent to dislodge rebels in the hills of the Kewarie Trans-Gogra district on April 27, 1859, he displayed "determined courage in having, though severely wounded... closed with and secured a rebel Sepoy (Indian soldier) armed with a broad revolver". An Irishman by birth, Richardson came to Canada in the early 1860s. During the 1880s and 1890s he lived on a farm one kilometre southwest of here. He held numerous township offices, including Reeve of Oakley Township (1895-96).











Friday, 27 January 2012

Alliston - Banting Homestead

Location:  N 44° 10.030 W 079° 50.781  On the west side of Sir Frederick Banting Road, approx 1 km north of Highway 89.  On the grounds of the Banting Homestead.


This is the birthplace of Sir Frederick Banting, co-discoverer of insulin, which has saved millions of lives worldwide.
Frederick Banting began his studies at the University of Toronto with the aim of entering the ministry, but instead he switched to medicine, receiving his MD in 1916. After graduating, he joined the army and served as a medical officer during World War I. He was awarded the Canadian military cross for bravery, attending wounded soldiers even while he himself was wounded. After the war, he practiced medicine in London, Ontario, until 1921, when he and Charles Best began their research into the hormone insulin.

Banting was knighted for his work in research in the medical field of studies in 1934. On February 21, 1941, Banting was killed in a plane crash while on a military medical mission in Newfoundland.

Presented by Royal Canadian Legion Branch 171 Alliston, to the Banting Homestead.

Marker Text:
PRESENTED TO
THE BANTING HOMESTEAD
FROM THE
VETERANS AND
MEMBERS OF
BRANCH #171 ALLISTON
ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION
JULY 2, 2010





Thursday, 26 January 2012

Norland

Location:  N 44° 43.666 W 078° 48.762  On the east side of Highway 35, just north of Monck Road.


Located in a small park alongside the Gull River. Well kept area is looked after by the horticultural society. This is a busy street, most people are quickly going past, few stop to pay their respects.  A simple cairn of fieldstone, with a brass plaque to honour those who gave their lives in the defence of freedom.

Marker Text:
TO THE GLORY AND HONOUR
OF THOSE WHO FELL
AND THOSE WHO SERVED
IN THE DEFENCE OF FREEDOM

1914-1918 1939-1945

ERECTED BY
NORLAND HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
1984



 

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Shelburne

Location:  N 44° 04.693 W 080° 12.206  Found in front of the town administrative offices and police station, on Victoria Street, just south of Highway 89.

World War 1 soldier statue depicted celebrating the victory. Flanked by two artillery pieces.

White marble base has newer brass plaques added to show inscriptions. Also carries names of those lost in the Second World War.

Inscriptions as follows:

Front side:
ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF
SHELBURNE AND VICINITY
TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY
OF OUR HONOURED DEAD
AND THOSE WHO CARRIED ON
IN THE GREAT WARS

WE ARE THE DEAD, SHORT DAYS AGO
WE LIVED, FELT DAWN, SAW SUNSET GLOW
LOVED AND WERE LOVED
AND NOW WE LIE IN FLANDERS FIELD

Left side:
OUR HONOURED
1914-DEAD-1918
J.J. Morrison, F.B. Outhwaite, Wildfred O'Reilly, F.C. Pacey, R. Polley, G. Prentice, A. Prior, William Sherman, F.W. Sholert, Melville Silk, A.R. Simmons, H.V.A. Skelding, J.F. Sloan, W.R. Thompson, E.E. Tomlinson, J.W. Tribble, S. Wardell, W. Webb, J. Wood, W. Hunter, J. Miller, R. Beevies, G. Berry, W. Adair

Rear:
OUR HONOURED
1939-DEAD-1945
Armstrong W.H., Allen W.A., Banks J.E., Bell N.A., Bellerby R.A., Brett R.A., Cauthers W.A., Cook E., Creamer W.G., Emerick R.E., Galbraith R.F., Hirvonen H., Hammond N., Irwin R.M., Johnson J.E., Jewitt R., Lightheart A.E., Luxton E., Lusty J.S., McDonough H., McLean E.C., Madill T.A., Orvis W.H., Paget W.R., Snell W., Tansley G., Whitten H., Wood M.S.

DEDICATED BY ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION
BRANCH 220 1992

Right side:
OUR HONOURED
1914-DEAD-1918
Fred Alexander, W. Bailey, J.S. Bennett, A. Calender, T. Cribbes, T.H. Davidson, Dalton Ferris, J.W. Fleming, J.W. Gallaugher, R.I Gallaugher, G.W. Hall, Henry Hickey, R. Jamieson, G.E. Jenkins, T.J.R. Johnston, H.W. Keirnan, C.J. Leader, W.J. Martin, W.H. Mason, A. Markle, Rev A. McComb, W.A. McKee, E.W. McClelland, H. Middleton06/04








Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Horning's Mills

Location:  N 44° 09.232 W 080° 12.275  At the south-east corner of Main Street and River Road.


The town of Hornings Mills is a small rural village, but as so happened in the time of conflict, many of those who served came from these small villages, without question or apprehension, they came because at the time, it was the right thing to do.
The memorial was moved from the fairgrounds to this spot, and re-dedicated in June of 2011.

Marker Text:
TO THE HONOUR OF OUR FALLEN HEROES

1939-1945
ROBERT EMRICK
THOMAS MADILL
ALVIN LIGHTHEART
ROBERT JEWETT


IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO
GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918
NORMAN BIRGE
THOMAS CRIBBS
EARNEST FERRIS
ROBERT FERRIS
JAMES FLEMING
R.J. GALLAUGHER
KNOX GRAHAM
WILFRED HUNTER
THOMAS JOHNSTON
EARLBY POWERS
HARRY PRIDDLE
WM. SHERMAN
JOSEPH WOOD





Monday, 23 January 2012

Priceville


Location:  N 44° 12.194 W 080° 37.545  On Kindardine Street, just off Grey Road 4.


Erected by the residents of Priceville, after the Great War, this cenotaph also honours those lost in WW2.
One hundred and twenty-six men from the Priceville area served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force int he First World War. Fifteen were killed, sixty were wounded.
A German Field Machine Gun is also on display in the park.

Text on the monument reads as follows:

Front:
OUR FALLEN HEROES
1914-1918
Goldwin Patterson, John H. MacDonald, Dan McNalty, James Whyte, Donald L. MacKinnon, Thomas L. Mather, Isaac A. Pinkerton, Irvine MacArthur, Alex MacVicar, Archibald A. MacKinnon, Neil J. MacMillan, Robert E. MacLean, Henry C. MacIntosh, Colin MacLean

YPRES MONS

Rear:
IN HONOUR
OF ALL WHO SERVED
AND
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO DIED
FOR THE CAUSE OF
FREEDOM AND JUSTICE
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
Daniel R. MacKinnon

Right:
OUR FALLEN HEROES
1939-1945
T. Orval Harrison, Lorne F. MacArthur, W. Marvin Sturrock, J. Garfield Whyte, Lloyd V. Whyte








Sunday, 22 January 2012

Humberstone


Location:  N 42° 53.958 W 079° 15.137  In a small park on the south-east corner of Main Street and King Street, in Port Colborne.


Erected by the Village of Humberstone (now Port Colborne), this memorial is dedicated to the local war dead of the First and Second World Wars and to the veterans of the Korean War. In 1952, a new plaque was installed on the Cenotaph in the northern section of Port Colborne to honour the names of those killed in the two World Wars, from the former Humberstone Village.

OUR HEROIC DEAD

TO THE HONOUR AND MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THE
VILLAGE OF HUMBERSTONE WHO GAVE UP THEIR
LIVES WHILE SERVING KING AND COUNTRY


1914 - 1918

Heman French
John Graham
Harry Knowles
Arthur Slow
Elbern King
David Michael
Reuben Kramer
Thomas Waite
Dominic Koabel
David Gatherum
Lorne Armstrong
Dennis Sale
Edwin Gamm
John Wallace

1939-1945

Joseph Andrews
Earl Bender
Benjamin Boulton
Leslie Butler
Alderic Denault
William Greggio
Howard Guinter
Kenneth Hill
Leslie Kramer
Basil Lindsay
Albert Moscrip
John Newman
Ivan Page
Merritt Richardson
John Sykes
Norman Weaver
Frank Webb

"Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man By Down
His Life For His Friends."



KOREA 1950-1953





 

Friday, 20 January 2012

Unionville





Location:  N 43° 52.123 W 079° 18.755   Outside the Crosby Memorial Community Centre, in historic downtown Unionville.

Marker Text:
Text on memorial is as follow:

Front:
1939-1945

IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

THOMAS BALES
RAYMOND N. BARTLETT
HARRY BLAYLOCK
BRUCE A. BOYD
HERBERT CALBERT
WILLIAM CALBERT
RALPH K. CHALMERS
DONALD F. CLARK
CLIFFORD COATHUP
GEORGE COATHUP
JAMES COCHRANE M.C.
L. JAMES FARR
McCOWAN A. FREEMAN
WILLIAM M. GASPAR
ELGIN A. HISEY

THOMAS HOPE
RICHARD D. MAYNARD
WALLACE A. McBRIDE
FREDERICK G. McLAREN
M. SUSANNAH McLAREN
DONALD J. MINGAY
S.J. REID
CHARLES SIMPSON
CECIL H. SINCLAIR
DONALD E. STIVER
THOMAS TOMLINSON
ROY A. WALKER
GORDON WEEDON
RUSSELL T. WICE
FRED WOLSTENHOLME
G. CLIFFORD WOODRUFF

Rear:
1914-1918

IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

ALBERT BAILEY
JOHN CARTER
HARRY COOK
GEO. COUPERTHWAITE
EDWARD JEFFREYS

REGINALD LAMB
ALFRED POPE
MATTHEW RAE
ROY D. RAINEY
IVAN O. REESOR