Saturday, 23 September 2017

Ayr

 

Location:  Waterloo Region     N 43 17.139   W 80 27.020
In the intersection of Stanley Street and Northumberland Street.
 

A tall granite cross stands proudly over the main intersection in this small village.  The cross, designed by Sir Reginald Bloomfield, was sourced from the McIntosh Granite Company of Toronto.  It was decided at the time that no names would appear on the cross, however a large field boulder was chosen to mount the bronze plaque listing the names of the dead from World War I.  After World War II, a second bronze plaque was added.  No dates or wars are listed on the plaques, simply the names of the dead.  Interesting to note is the plot where the cenotaph is located, was originally made up of 40 loads of earth from the surrounding farms, providing a link between the local families, the earth and the lost heroes of the Great Wars.  To this day, the plot is considered sacred ground.
 


 
Marker text:
Cross:
Front:
TO THE MEMORY
OF THOSE MEN OF
AYR
AND
COUNTRYSIDE
WHO IN THE
GREAT WAR
DIED FOR
KING AND COUNTRY
1914 - 1919















Back:
THEIR NAME
LIVETH FOR
EVERMORE
1939 - 1946
 




 
Roll of Honour Stone:
Front plaque:
IN MEMORIAM

CLARENCE APPLEYARD
WILLIAM APPLEYARD
MARGARET E. BAKER
JOHN BARNES
ROBERT BELL
CECIL BIRLEY
JOHN BRANDON
FRED BRATTON
JOHN CARPENTER
ARTHUR CASSADY
WILLIAM CHALK
ORWELL ENNIS
ALFRED FLETCHER
THOMAS GRINDIN
THOMAS HENDERSON
WILLIAM S. HENDERSON

WILFRID B. HALL
HARRY H. HODGSON
VICTOR H. HARDING
ROBERT FRANK KNELLAR
WILLIAM LAST
ARTHUR LAST
HOWARD MARSHALL
HENRY S.H. PITCHER
WILLIAM I. REID
ROBERT A. RIDDELL
HAROLD RUTHERFORD
JAMES E. RONALD
WILFRID SHORT
ALBERT C. STYLES
HENRY SMITH
ROBERT JAMES WATSON
 

 
Rear plaque:
IN MEMORIAM

BRIAN JONES
ROBERT WOOLNER
GEORGE CRUICKSHANK
BENJAMIN EICHLER
VERNON INGHAM
WILFRED HEDLEY
LESLIE DAVIS
MURRAY WOOD
 

















Friday, 15 September 2017

Manitoulin District Cenotaph

 
 
Location:  Manitoulin Island     N 45 42.782   W 82 14.778
At the corner of Highway 551 and Monument Road.
 



This memorial is part of a larger complex known as Memorial Corners, consisting of several memorials, including the Manitoulin District Cenotaph, the Merchant Navy Memorial and the Manitoulin Women’s Memorial.   The grounds are tastefully laid out with room for parking, picnic tables and pathways to each memorial.
The Manitoulin District Cenotaph was originally unveiled in September 1921, consisting of a statue on top of a black granite stele, with the names of four local men lost in the Great War, and later the names of four more men lost in the Second World War.  Sadly, this memorial was destroyed in the early 1960’s in an automobile accident.
In 1994, a new cenotaph was unveiled, using the remains of the original monument and featuring the names of 128 fallen men from the local communities and seven Native Reserves.  The legion branches in Little Current and Gore Bay where the driving force behind the new cenotaph, and along with land donated for the project by George White and Bert Hill, the communities of Manitoulin Island have a memorial to be proud of.  Recent upgrades to the cenotaph have been completed, making it even more appealing and respectful to all those whose names appear on these memorials.
See this link for further details:  https://www.cdli.ca/monuments/on/manitou.htm
 


Marker text:
MANITOULIN DISTRICT CENOTAPH
(Legion Crest)
177 LITTLE CURRENT
514 GORE BAY

NAVY     ARMY     AIR FORCE

“HONOUR LIBERTY THAT
THEY NOT DIE IN VAIN”

IN FLANDERS FIELDS
IN FLANDERS FIELDS THE POPPIES BLOW
BETWEEN THE CROSSES, ROW ON ROW
THAT MARK OUR PLACE;  AND IN THE SKY
THE LARKS, STILL BRAVELY SINGING, FLY
SCARCE HEARD AMID THE GUNS BELOW.

WE ARE THE DEAD, SHORT DAYS AGO
WE LIVED, FELT DAWN, SAW SUNSET GLOW,
LOVED AND WERE LOVED, AND NOW WE LIE
IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

TAKE UP THE QUARREL WITH THE FOE;
TO YOU FROM FAILING HANDS WE THROW
THE TORCH; BE YOURS TO HOLD IT HIGH,
IF YE BREAK FAITH WITH US WHO DIE
WE SHALL NOT SLEEP, THOUGH POPPIES GROW
IN FLANDERS FIELDS.
LT. COL. JOHN McCRAE

TOWNS
GORE BAY
LITTLE CURRENT
ANISHINABEK FIRST NATIONS
COCKBURN ISLAND
SHESHEGWANING
SHEGUIANDAH
SUCKER CREEK
WEST BAY
WHITEFISH RIVER
WIKWEMIKONG

TOWNSHIPS
ALLAN
ASSIGINACK
BARRIE ISLAND
BIDWELL
BILLINGS
BURPEE
CAMPBELL
CARLYLE
CARNARVON
COCKBURN ISLAND
DAWSON
GORDON
HOWLAND
HUMBOLDT
KILLARNEY
MILLS
ROBINSON
RUTHERFORD AND
GEORGE ISLAND
SANDFIELD
SHEGUIANDAH
TEHKUMMAH

WE KNOW THE VALUE OF FREEDOM WHEN WE KNOW THE COSTS
LEST WE FORGET
DEDICATED JUNE 5th 1994


Wall:
MANITOULIN DISTRICT CENOTAPH
THIS SYMBOL OF FREEDOM IS DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN
HONOUR OF THOSE WHOSE SACRIFICE WAS FULL, FINAL AND EVERLASTING.
OUR MEMORIES OF THEM WILL BE FOREVER TREASURED IN ETERNAL
GRATITUDE FOR THEIR GIFT OF LIBERTY, PEACE AND PRIVILEGE.


WORLD WAR I     1914 – 1918
Joseph Adams
 Anwatin
Alexander L. Ballantyne
Benjamin Ballantyne
George Baxter

Harry Beatty
Lawrence Beatty
Percy Beck
Sam Blackburn
Austin W. Blackie
Ernest J. Blackie
Lorne Bradley
Harry W. Brown
Michael Cada
Norman Campbell
William Carr
Isban A. Clark
George W. Collins
Edwin E. Cook
John Cowan
John D. Currie

Jack Elliot
Joseph Enosse
F. Walter Farthing
Amerod Ferguson
Blair Frazer
Joseph C. Gallagher
R. Joseph Good
Augustus Hartung
Victor Hewson
Robert R. Hill
Charles Holmes
Wilfred J. Holmes
John Hughson
Robert Hunter
William Jackman
Alexander G. Jeffery

Edgar Kent
Frank Lavallee
John E. Leach
John Maguire
Harvey C. Marshall
Dave Matheson
John McDonald
John McKeddy
John McMillan
James Merrilees
Ernest Minors
Nelson Minors
Vincent Misinishkotewe
Thomas Moore
Louis J. Norton
Eli Louis Niganiwah

Thomas Niganiwina
Frank Nighswander
James T. Pattison
Andrew Peltier
Percy Pifer
Franklin Proulx
James A. Raynor
W. Leslie Riching
William Rousseau
Lorne Rumley
Lawrence Russell
Clarence Rush
Leslie Scott
William Scott
Colin D. Sims
James F. Valliquette

Michael Wabanosse
Lorne Walker
William Wickett
Arlif R. Wilkin
Alden Wilkinson
Robert Willet
Valentine Wilman
Nelson Young
Joseph Baker

WORLD WAR II     1939 – 1945
Gilbert Alexander
Keith Beange
Kenneth Buck
Les Campbell
Aubrey Chalmers
Richard J. Clark
Dominic Corbiere
Everett Coulter
Hubert Coulter
John A. Eadie
Ivan Falls
Lloyd Fowler
William Fowler

Alphonse Gaiashk
Fredrick G. Green
John C. Halcrow
J. Lloyd Hall
Morland L. Hembruff
Steve R.G. Hilson
James S. Howard
Eric C. Hughson
J. Mac Johnson
Leonard Lehman
Norman F. Lockeyer
Henry Mandamin
Alponse Manitowabi (Korea)
Russell McCraken
Theodore McGregor
Armand McMillian

Leonard Mumford
Charles Nahwegezhic
Roland Nahwegezhic
L. W. Orford
John Ozaomik
Alfred Pitawanakwat
Burt Rogue
Frank Rowe
Wilbert Rowe
Ernest Sagle
Isaac Shawanda
Robert Smeltzer
Russell Stringer
Zoey Trudeau
Lyle Van Horn
Douglas M. Wagg

Clarence Wakegijic
Douglas Weeks
Felix Wemigwans
A. Floyd Williamson
Albert J. Williamson
Douglas Wright













Saturday, 9 September 2017

Lakefield

 
 
Location:  Peterborough County     N 44 25.333   W 78 16.371
Beside the library, in a park bordered by Bridge St., Water St., and Queen St.
 

Construction of this memorial began in 1929, being finished in February 1930, and unveiled on June 1, 1930 to great fanfare in front of throngs of onlookers, family members and supporters.  The names of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in the Great War are forever engraved in the monument made of gray granite from Stanstead, Quebec.  Topped with a Cross of Sacrifice, the memorial was made taller after World War II when an additional layer of granite was added bearing the names of those lost in that conflict.  Once again, another layer was added to honour those lost in Korea and added to this are the names of soldiers lost in peacekeeping duties. 
An excellent account of the dedication ceremony can be found at the Veterans Affairs website:
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/national-inventory-canadian-memorials/details/5389



Marker text:
Front:
TO THE
GLORY OF GOD
AND
IN MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO MADE
THE
SUPREME SACRIFICE
1914   -   1918

1939 - 1945

1950 - 1953
 




 
Left side:
ARTHUR ALFRED
FRANK ARMSTRONG
JOHN ARMSTRONG
DALLING BARLEE
EDWARD BLOOMFIELD
GORDON CALBERRY
HERBERT CALBERRY
ROLAND CARTER
GORDON CRAWFORD
KEITH CUMBERLAND
BRUCE EDWARDS

ARTHUR FRANKISH
JOHN GORDON
JOHN HALIFAX
ISAAC HAMPTON
GEOFFREY HILLIARD
WILFRED HULL
JOSEPH JAMIESON
THEODORE JOHNSTON
MAXWELL JOHNSTON
STANLEY KIDD
PERCY LEMAY


N. HULL
J. MORRISON
H. STUART

J. CROWE
S. HILL
D. WHITE
E. SMITH

C. HURL
C. BROOKS
L. CHARLTON


NATO
JAMES WOOD
EUGENE PAYNE
RANDY PAYNE
 



 
Right side:
SHERMAN MAHOOD
NOBLE MILBURN
OSBORNE MONTGOMERY
JOHN MORRIS
HERBERT NICHOLLS
LORNE NORTHEY
PHILIP PATRICK
ALEX. PRESTON
GEORGE ROWE
HOWARD ROWE

WILLIAM ROWE
JOSEPH SABATINO
ALLAN SANDERSON
IRA SNELGROVE
GEO. STRICKLAND
R.D. STRICKLAND
HERBERT STUART
J.R. WHITE
ROYDEN WILSON
LEONARD WINGETT


J. COUGHLIN
W. MAROIS
D. LYTLE

B. McFADDEN
A. HOGARTH
A. IRONS

G. TAYLOR
M. BULLOCK
B. BURROWS


P.C. SPENCLEY   KOREA   1950-1953
RONALD EMERY
 



 
Rear:
TO THE
GLORY OF GOD
AND
IN MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO MADE
THE
SUPREME SACRIFICE
1914   -   1918

1939 - 1945

1950 - 1953
 












Saturday, 2 September 2017

Waterdown


 
Location:  City of Hamilton     N 43 20.048   W 79 53.542
At 317 Dundas Street East, in front of the old Memorial Hall, now the Village Theatre.

Memorial Hall was dedicated in a Memorial service on January 14, 1923.  Along with the building, a Memorial Plaque was also unveiled listing the men of Waterdown who served in the First World War, including the names of the nineteen souls who died in the war.
In 1971, a second plaque was added to list the names of those who served and died in the Second World War.  The plaques are found on a stone wall in front of the Memorial Hall.  The wall was dedicated by Royal Canadian Legion Branch 551 and the Lions Club in 1979.  Waterdown was actually part if  Flamborough until an amalgamation in 1974 created the new and quickly expanding town.  In 2001, it was again amalgamated into the City of Hamilton.  Memorial Hall is now home to the Village Theatre.  The list of names is long, as we have seen many times from the rural communities of southern Ontario.

Marker text:
Centre:
WATERDOWN
DISTRICT LIONS
CLUB
CENTENNIAL PROJECT
1979
 



Right:
TO THE HONOUR AND MEMORY
OF OUR BOYS
WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR

1914 - 1918

OUR HEROIC DEAD

ELMER BAKER
ROY BURNETT
WILLIAM BRECKON
WARREN CUTTER
EDWARD CRANE
WILLIAM CRUSOE
CHARLES CARSON
LELAND H. DOUGHERTY
NATHAN A. DOUGHERTY
WURTZ A. EDGE
GEORGE M. FRETWELL
THOMAS FLINTOFF
ACHILIS HERRON
GEORGE A. INKSETTER
RICHARD JAMES
ROY MOUNT
JAMES ROBERTSON
BENJAMIN J. RAYNOR
ARTHUR SAMS
GEORGE TAYLOR

(served)
WILBERT L. ATTRIDGE
GEORGE ARNOLD
ROBERT BUCHAN
MAX BUEZEG
IRVING P. BELL
HAROLD BAKER
GORDON BOWMAN
WILLIAM BOWDEN
LEWIS BEST
WILLIAM CHISOLM
HARRY R. CLARK
SAMUEL COOK
REDVERS CHAFFE
HARRY DAVIDS
BURWELL DENT
JOSEPH C. EAGER
ROY EDGE
OSCAR EDGE
HARRY FEATERSTON
WILLIAM GARDINER

CHARLES GALLIVAN
CHARLES GALLIN
J. HARRY HORNING
OLIVER M. HORNING
RUSSELL HAMILTON
FREDERICK HAYMAN
RICHARD HARBOTTLE
LLOYD M. HENRY
EARL IRELAND
ALBERT JONES
FREDERICK JAMES
JOHN KIRK
WILFRED LANGFORD
FRANK LEAKE
J. ARTHUR MORDEN
ROBERT MEADER
FRANCIS METZGER
ALLAN MUNROE
LORNE MOUNT
PETER MITCHELL
VERNON McFERN

NORMAN McFERN
THOMAS McDONALD
DOUGLAS U. McGREGOR
C. WALKER McGREGOR
GORDON McGREGOR
MARCUS MacKAY
THOMAS NORTON
CHARLES NEWMAN
CLIFFORD NICHOLSON
PERCIVAL PALMER
A. EDGAR RICHARDS
HAROLD C. RICHARDS
WALTER ROCKETT
AUSTIN RUSK
HAZEL RUSK
GORDON V. RYCKMAN
GEORGE SIMPKINS
E. STANLEY SAWELL
HUGH SMILEY
JAMES SIMMONS

RICHARD SEYMOUR
FRANK SPECK
A. STARK
GARTH TASSIE
AUSTIN TUDOR
WILLIAM THOMPSON
ERNEST TODD
CHARLES WOOLLEY
JOHN WOOLLEY
ROY E. WILKINSON
VERNON WILLIS
GEORGE WEBB
WILLIAM WRIGHT
ARYLIE YOUNG

JEAN I. DRUMMOND
AGNES A. FORBES
FLORA McG FRID
B. MURIEL McGREGOR
ETHEL G. RYCKMAN

ERECTED BY THE COMMUNITY LEAGUE  OF THE VILLAGE OF WATERDOWN
 



Left:
1914 - 1918          1939 - 1945

TO THE HONOUR AND MEMORY
OF OUR BOYS
WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WARS
OUR HEROIC DEAD

H. MURGATROYD
W. BUZZA
J. RUSSELL
M. McILWRAITH
C. HARDING
W. PEGG
F. MacDONALD
M. BAKODY
H. FIRTH
J. DUFFEY
J. PERRINS
L. BOUGHNER
J. ANDERSON
W. CRUDEN
C.S. COOPER
D. McNICHOL
W. McCURDY
R. KEARNS

J.P. OWENS
W. CARR
M. WILLIAMSON
G. BROOKER
G. BAILEY Sr.
A. LEWIS
D. GLASS
B. SAWELL
M. TRATCH
J. DIBLEY
W. BALL
F. HOUSE
F. MacDONALD
B. BOYLE
R. WICKEN
J. HENRY
B. HOUSE
J. CLIFFORD

DRUMMOND
M.T. LILLYCROP
K.C. LINGEN
H. VERVEAKE

S. McKINLEY
R. MEEHAN
A. VANDEWALL
G. MCDERMITT
D. HUNTER
W. WILSON
J. BURNS
A. PLANK
R. MacKAY

F. FITZSIMMONS
E. CASE
P. BALL
W. GRANT
J. BALDWIN
J. JESSON
G. BOND
W. PARKER
D. WARD
A. BONNER
W. MONKHOUSE
S. RANKIN
W. LIVINGSTON
J. WYNNE
H. BENNET
J. HOLMES
W. COLLINS
J. WATSON

L. MacCAN
G. MITCHELL
W. PLACE
M. McLELLAN
A. YOUNG
R. DeMERCHANT
K. BELL
H. RICHMOND
J. OLSON
A. BELL
G. ARNOLD
A. BLISS
S. JOHNS
S. FITZNER
S. MANSLEY
I. MAHER
B. CLUTE
G. TYO

ERECTED BY ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION Br. 551
















Sunday, 27 August 2017

Nairn

 
 

Location:  Middlesex County     N 43 06.718   W 81 33.414
At 4441 Queens Avenue, in front of East Williams Memorial Public School.
 

Also known as the East Williams Cenotaph, this memorial was erected in May of 1922, to honour those from East Williams Township who fought and died in the First World War.  Five more names were added after the Second World War, to honour the brave men lost in that war.
The school in which the memorial stands in front of, was opened in 1952, so I am not sure if the memorial was moved here from another location or this is the original location.



Marker text:
Front:
OUR FALLEN HEROES

LIEUT. THOS. MILLIKEN
CORP. DAVID G. THOMAS
PTE. ALLAN DEWAR
PTE. ANGUS MORRISON
PTE. THOS. E. McANDLESS
PTE. CHARLES McCLAY
PTE. GEORGE ROOKE
REV. JOSEPH ELLIOTT

ERECTED BY THE
TOWNSHIP OF EAST WILLIAMS IN HONOR
OF HER LOYAL SONS WHO SERVED
AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
 
 




Right side:
F/O D.M. WITHERSPOON
L/CPL CHANCEY A. JONES
L.A.C. STEWART McEWEN
PTE. R.J. ROBINSON
CPL. LYLE A. McINTOSH

IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

IN WORLD WAR II
1939 - 1945